Wednesday, March 25, 2015

Three Pairs of Shoes: One Worthy Cause



Steampunked shoes

A couple of weeks ago, I happened to read about a charity event going on right in my neighborhood at the Watermark Center in Muskegon on April 25, 2015, called “Heels for Meals,” this gala event is to raise money for AgeWellServices. In addition to being a very worthwhile, I thought the whole idea of combining shoe fashion with the concept of wheels was very creative as well as bringing awareness to the community of the ongoing need for bringing meals to those unable to prepare their own meals. This event hopefully will raise the needed funds and encourage more attention towards this issue.

I thought it would be fun to create something for this event. I offered my services to help make some of the displays. Here are the three pairs I designed.

The first pair were my daughter’s witness competition shoes she wore in several events.  I thank her for letting me glitter them up. I named them “Ella at the Ball.”
Ella at the Ball

The other two pairs were purchased at Goodwill Industries. The yellow pair caught my eye right away. These reminded me of something from the 50s or 60s, so I went with it and made them into “Sunshine, Lollypops and Rainbows” from the Leslie Gore song of the same name(RIP Leslie) with gold glitter, laser ribbon, and “lollypops.” The last pair were my favorite because they are “Steampunk” They had to have wings, of course.  Not sure what I would name them, maybe “Steam Stomp” or something. Anybody got any ideas for that?
Sunshine, Lollypops & Rainbows

Meals on Wheels serves individuals in their homes who are unable either purchase or prepare their own meals. This name refers to home-delivered meals programs, although  not all of them are actually named "Meals on Wheels". Those served are usually housebound and many of the recipients are elderly. Many of the volunteers are also elderly but able-bodied and able to drive wheeled vehicles. There are Meals on Wheels programs in the United Kingdom, Canada, Australia, and the United States.

Hopefully I will be able to attend the event. It looks like it will be a fun evening. For more information, call 231-733-8645. 

If you have a comment, question, please contact me. Namaste! - Marie Helena 

No comments:

Post a Comment